Click Here for Dinosaur Diamond Scenic Byway
- Start in Grand Junction. Explore downtown and the Museum of Western Colorado. To note: Grand Junction is famous for the many local wineries around the valley.
- Take I-70 business route west to Fruita and to the Dinosaur Journey Museum, a hands-on facility that combines robotic dinosaurs with unique fossil finds.
- Nearby is Dinosaur Hill; the Brontosaurus excavated here is on display at The Chicago Field Museum of Natural History.
- Then on to the Colorado National Monument to examine prehistoric rock art and the grand cliffs and canyons.
- Drive CO 139 north to the Dinosaur National Monument. Here one can see the world’s largest Jurassic period dinosaur quarry.
- Backtrack via CO 139 to Rangely. See the Rangely Museum for North American artifacts, pioneer settlement, and the dinosaur exhibit. In the area surrounding Rangely, ruins and rock art are hidden among the canyons.
- Travel on to Canyon Pintado, and on the way glimpse old Fremont Indian culture and history in the rock art panels.
- End in Rangely.