Click Here for South Platte River Trail Scenic Byway
- Start in Julesburg at the Colorado Welcome Center. There are greatinterpretive panels that provide context.
- Continue west on CR 128 to the Italian Underground interpretive sign to read about the Italian caves.
- Every couple of miles, there are interesting interpretive signs that tell the story of the multiple locations of Julesburg.
- Stop at the Pony Express Interpretive Site, where Colorado’s only Pony Express Home Station was located.
- A mile down the road, a flagpole marks the location of Fort Sedgwick, the most important military installment along the Overland Trail.
- Travel on to Ovid, site of a WWII POW internment camp. Nearby is Sugartown, the abandoned Great Western Sugar Company, a sugar beet processing plant.
- After Ovid, return to Julesburg on US 138. Additional interpretive signs mark the third location of Julesburg.
- Stop at the Fort Sedgwick Depot Museum which has a collection of local history artifacts along with Union Pacific Railroad memorabilia and artifacts. The museum also has a collection of Pony Express items. Visit also the Old Ford Garage & Museum, the historic Hippodrome Theater, and DePoorter Lake, which has great fishing.
- End in Julesburg.