Day 1: Alamosa, La Junta, Walsenburg, Pueblo
- Start at Alamosa, your base while exploring the Great Sand Dunes National Park and Preserve. This is the nation’s tallest sand dunes playground. In spring, flowing Medano Creek creates Colorado’s most unique beach. Year-round visitors love to hike up and then ski, sled, or snowboard down the dunes.
- Continue east again on US 160 over La Veta Pass to Walsenburg, then pick up CO 10 to La Junta. Visit the Koshare Indian Museum, a surprising find with wonderful early-20th-century art, and Bent’s Old Fort National Historic Site, the reconstructed hub of a trading empire in the 1830s and 1840s. Proceed from here to Pueblo on US 50.
Day 2: Pueblo & Cañon City
- Browse Pueblo in the morning and include the impressive Victorian mansion that contains the Rosemount Museum. Then, take a walk at the Greenway and Nature Center or along the Historic Arkansas Riverwalk of Pueblo. Stop at the El Pueblo Museum and explore the early history of the region.
- Then take US 50 west to Cañon City to see the Royal Gorge Bridge & Park which has the world’s highest zip line and second highest suspension bridge. There are also rides, a wildlife park, and other entertainment and attractions. Take the RoyalGorge Route Railroad into the gorge.
Day 3: Colorado Springs
- Head north north on I-25 to Colorado Springs. See and do: Pikes Peak Cog Railway, U.S. Air Force Academy, United States Olympic Complex, Garden of the Gods – some of the most astonishing and memorable scenery in Colorado, Cave of the Winds, and a variety of museums and historic sites.