Six Days – Gunnison – Crested Butte
“For those who leave no stone unturned”
Day 1: Denver to Vail
- Stop and enjoy scenic Idaho Springs, Copper Mountain, Shrine Pass and Vail Pass along the way
- Stay in Vail or Edwards along Eagle Creek
Day 2: Vail to Aspen
- From Minturn to Tennessee Pass, Leadville, the Arkansas headwaters, and Twin Lakes.
- Stop and view any one the many historic railways, towns, or rivers
- Stay in Twin Lakes at the base of Colorado’s highest mountain, Mount Elbert.
- Or continue on to Aspen over Independence Pass
Day 3: Aspen to Crested Butte
- From Carbondale travel McClure and Kebler Passes
- Along the way visit historic Marble, where Grants Tomb was mined, Crystal River Resort, or Lake Irwin.
- Stay two nights in Crested Butte, Colorado’s largest National Historic District
Day 4: Stay and Play
- Kick up your heels on any one of the many classic benches in downtown Historic Crested Butte.
- Shop, Dine and visit the Crested Butte Mountain Heritage Museum
- Visit one or more of the 2 Million Acres of public land surrounding Crested Butte
- Fly Fish, Hike, Camp, Rock Climb, Raft, Bike, Canoe or Relax
Day 5: Crested Butte to Salida
- From Gunnison over Monarch Pass this will be the shortest day of driving.
- Visit Gunnison’s Pioneer and Train Museum, events in the park, rafting and fishing before heading up Monarch Pass for a scenic Gondola ride above the Continental Divide
- Stay in Historic Salida, home of the Arkansas River (get in another raft ride!)
Day 6: Salida to Colorado Springs then, return to Denver
- Travel HWY 50 along the Arkansas River and view the geological formations, the Royal Gorge, Canon City. Visit the Royal Gorge Route Railroad and Royal Gorge Bridge and Park.
- Final Stop Denver via Colorado Springs (optional departure from Colorado Springs Airport)