Day 1: Arrive in Montrose, Colorado
- Montrose Colorado is the kind of Colorado people dream about. Situated in the southwestern portion of the state on the Western Slope of the Rocky Mountains, Montrose is home to the Black Canyon National Park and offers scenic mountains, valleys, canyons, mesas, lakes and rivers, plus all the recreational activities that accompany these natural wonders like hiking, mountain biking, fishing, boating and more. Visit the Ute Museum on the south side of town or the drive along the rim of the Black Canyon on the east side.
Day 2: Ridgway, Colorado
- Depart Montrose driving south along Hwy 550 to Ridgway and the Chipeta Sun Lodge & Spa. This cozy, adobe-style lodge in Colorado provides luxury accomodations with private hot tubs & patios, solar heated pool, spa, yoga & fitness center, steam room, and sauna. Cafe Chipeta offers delicious, Southwestern inspired healthy fare and to add to the dining experience enjoy the roof top patio with spectacular views.
Day 3: Telluride, Colorado
- Spend a leisurely morning walking about Ridgway and see all the sites from the filming of the John Wayne classic “True Grit” and visiting the railroad museum. Depart Ridgway driving southwest on Hwy 62, passing by the Ralph Lauren Cattle Ranch, great photo opportunity at the top of Dallas Divide of the Sneffels Mountain range. Turn left onto Hwy 145 in Placerville and stop at the Blue Point Cafe for lunch. Arrive in Telluride, check into lodging and walk about this Historical town with building over 100 years old where Butch Cassidy robbed his first bank in 1887.
Day 4: Telluride, Colorado
- Enjoying one of the many activities available in Telluride; Guided Fly Fishing Tours on the San Miguel River running through town, River rafting down valley, Horseback Riding; Mountain Bike Telluride Mountain Resort, Hike to Bridal Veil Falls or a Jeep Trip Ride toan Old Gold Mining Town at 11,000 feet. Enjoy the evening out in a local restaurant.
Day 5: Telluride, Colorado
- Sleep in Telluride’s cool mountain air at night and discover the region’s National Parks, scenic drives, desert landscapes and archaeology by day. It’s just a short drive to Dunton Hot Springs (1 hour); Moab (2.5 hours); Mesa Verde (2.25 hours); Lizard Head Wilderness Area (30 minutes); Canyons of the Ancients National Monument (2 hours) or the Anasazi Heritage Center (1.5 hours). Enjoy one of Telluride’s local restaurant, brew pub or bistro.
Day 6: Durango, Colorado
- Driving south on Hwy 145 to Dolores turning left onto Hwy 184 to Mancos, then left again onto Hwy 160 into Durango. Hop aboard on the Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad enjoying the country side of San Juan’s, reveling the sights and sounds of a bygone era. Have lunch in Silverton and return to Durango to enjoy an evening in a local wine bar or microbrewery.
Day 7: Ouray, Colorado
- Driving north on Hwy 550 on the scenic Million Dollar Highway into Ouray. Watch the sun rise over the immense San Juan Mountains from the Scenic San Juan Skyway. The drive from Durango to Ouray is a gorgeous and leisurely 2 hours. In Ouray, explore Box Canyon Falls Park followed by the shop-lined streets of historical downtown.