Day 1: Kenosha Park, Boreas Pass, Breckenridge
- Start in Denver, following US 285 to South Park over scenic Kenosha Pass. Stop and tour railroad exhibits on top of the pass.
- Continue to the town of Como, then turn west over Boreas Pass (summer/fall) or over Hoosier Pass from Fairplay if Boreas Pass is closed. Stop at the top of Boreas Pass for more railroad history.
- End your day exploring the mining, and now ski resort, town of Breckenridge.
Day 2: Vail, Steamboat Springs
- Travel on CO 9 through Frisco to I-70 and continue west to Vail. Spend some time exploring the town.
- Then continue west to CO 131 at the Wolcott exit. Follow the road through Oak Creek to Steamboat Springs. Don’t miss the Tread of the Pioneers Museum, walking tours of Historic Steamboat Springs, and outdoor activities galore.
Day 3: Tabernash, Fraser, Winter Park
- Head east on US 40 over Muddy Pass, then stay on US 40 to Kremmling and connect with the Colorado River Headwaters Scenic & Historic Byway.
- Follow the byway to Granby. Stay on US 40 to the railroad towns of Tabernash and Fraser, then on to Winter Park. Watch for the train emerging out of the 6.2 mile long Moffet Tunnel that cuts under the Continental Divide.