DAY 1 – START in Durango, an old west town founded in 1880.
* Next explore the mining town of Silverton by either taking the all day Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad trip from Durango or drive north on US 550 over scenic Coal Bank and Molas Passes. Be sure to stop at all the overlooks.
* See the ghost towns of Howardsville, Eureka, and Animas Forks, all located within 14 miles of Silverton.
* Go over Red Mountain Pass, the “Million Dollar Highway” to Ouray, called thisfor the immense amounts of silver and gold carted over the high mountainpasses. Ouray is known as “the Switzerland” of America. While in town, don’tmiss Box Canyon Falls.
* End in Ouray.
Day 2 – START in Ouray, then on to US 550 to Ridgway and Ridgway Railroad Museum.
* Take CO 62 to Placerville, then CO 145 to Telluride. Explore Telluride and itshistoric museum.
* Continue south on CO 145 to Dolores. Stop at the Galloping Goose Historical Society.
* Take CO 184 to Cortez.
* End in Cortez.