Click Here for Silver Thread Scenic Byway
- Start in South Fork. Stop at the Visitor Center for a byway orientation and then head north on CO149.
- Stop at the Wagon Wheel Gap interpretive sign for a short history of the area.
- Go on to Creede, best known for the famous Creede Repertory Theatre, the charming historic downtown, and also the Underground Mining Museum, built into the side of a mountain.
- Take the 17 Mile Bachelor Loop though the historic mining district above Creede and enjoy spectacular views.
- Continuing north, stop at North Clear Creek Falls, one of Colorado’s most remarkable cascades.
- Along the road, there are more interpretive overlooks but make sure to stop at Windy Point Scenic Overlook.
- Go on to the historic town of Lake City, on the National Register of Historic Places. All around are dramatic waterfalls, rugged peaks, valleys, gulches, and natural beauty. See the Hinsdale County Historical Museum where rotating exhibits are located in the main building, and in a separate Transportation Building and Blacksmith Shop, all on the museum grounds. Visit also the Hinsdale County Courthouse.
- Continue north to Blue Mesa Reservoir, the largest body of water in Colorado.
- End at Blue Mesa Reservoir